Some Cape Cod & Islands Property Owners Left Dealing with Water Damage from Arctic Blast
The Arctic Blast that came in last weekend is now a distant memory for many. However, for some the effects have just begun. At SERVPRO of Upper Cape Cod & The Islands we've been experiencing a higher volume of calls from both residential and commercial property owners who are now experiencing broken pipes and water damages across Cape Cod & The Islands now that temperatures have returned to above normal across the region.
- Check on elderly neighbors and unoccupied properties.
- Know where the water main shut off is located.
- DO NOT walk through water in basements or garages to access the electrical panel. Note: Call Electrical Company to shut the power off to the property first.
- Call a licensed plumber to fix the broken pipe(s).
- Call a Certified Restoration Company to clean up the water and stop secondary damage like mold.
- Contact your insurance agent or carrier regarding coverage.
Some other things you should consider when hiring a company to help you recover from storm damage here on Cape Cod & the Islands
- When contracting a cleanup and restoration company that can help you restore your property, "Like it never even happened." make sure they have the correct insurance to be doing this type of work.
- If you need to hire someone to do the reconstruction make sure they hold a General Contractors License and are fully insured with both liability and worker's compensation. Note: Anyone that works on your property should carry their own WC Policy or any accidents that may occur will be covered under the property owners policy.
- Make sure a building permit is acquired and all inspections are passed before final payment is issued. And remember to report any upgrades or changes to your property to your insurance agent or carrier so they can add it to your policy. Note: Upgrades to kitchens and bathrooms or even flooring should be noted in your policy for future coverage.
Going through a water damage is hard enough but not having the right resources and information to guide your decision making can sometime add unneeded stress to an already stressful situation. At SERVPRO of Upper Cape Cod & The Islands we want to help you recover from a water damage as quickly and effortlessly as possible. Call 508-888-5985 for help 24/7!
Here are some other helpful resources: