Dirty Air Ducts on Cape Cod & Islands: May Cause Health Problems
Health Risks Associated with Dirty Ducts
The risks of having dirty air ducts may be more severe than you might know. Have your allergies been getting the best of you lately and you’re not sure why? Can’t get rid of that nagging cough or cold? When it comes to cleaning, there are a few areas of your home that may get overlooked and one of those areas might be the HVAC system. As a restoration company, we offer air duct cleaning services.
Some Health Effects of Particle Pollution
- Asthma and chronic bronchitis
- Acute respiratory symptoms, such as coughing and chest tightness
- Decreased lung function, experienced as shortness of breath
- Heart attacks
- Premature death in people with heart or lung disease
Exposure to particle pollution can affect both your lungs and your heart. Health research suggests that short-term exposure to coarse particles can lead to coughing, minor throat irritation and reduced lung function, while long-term exposure may increase the rate of respiratory and cardiovascular illness. Many of these conditions contribute to work and school absences, emergency room visits, and hospital admissions. Any unexplained allergy-related illnesses could be a sign that your HVAC system needs to be cleaned.
Who is Most at Risk
- Children, because their lungs are still developing
- Elderly, particularly those with or prone to cardiovascular disease
- People with asthma or other respiratory ailments
- Healthy adults who exert themselves during periods of elevated fine particle concentrations also may be affected because they tend to breathe more while working or exercising.
You can learn more on EPA’s website.
If you are concerned about the health and wellbeing of someone you love, please feel free to contact us for a quote. We are here to help!