Things To Be Done Before and After Fire Damage
When Fire Strikes
Did you know that more Americans die from fires each year than all of the natural disasters combined? Therefore, if you have a fire and it’s too large to use a fire extinguisher, then please immediately vacate the premises and dial 911. Regardless of the size of the ordeal, you need to get in touch with a company that provides fire damage repair in Cape Cod.
If you must flee the scene of a fire, always make sure to follow these important points:
- Call the Authorities, make them aware that you plan to vacate, so they know that nobody is trapped inside.
- If you are in an old or historic building, tell the authorities and restoration technicians in case they have special methods for handling it.
- Close the door behind you, whenever you exit a room to prevent the smoke and fire from spreading.
- Don’t use any elevators.
- If you encounter smoke, drop down just a few inches above the ground and crawl to the nearest exit. Be aware that toxic smoke may also be found on the floor as well as in the air.
Moments After the Disaster
It only takes about five minutes for the fire to be hot enough to burn through steel. So, imagine what it can do to the framework of a building. This is why you’ll need clearance from the fire department before your allowed to re-enter a place after a fire.
In the meantime, stay with a friend or relative. You can also call a disaster relief service to find temporary accommodations. Your very next step should be to call your insurance company. Depending on your policy you may receive reimbursements for damages or help paying for fire damage restoration services offered from reputable companies like SERVPRO.
Before The Restoration Company Arrives
If you are allowed back in you home and you can try these tips before the restoration process happens
- Determine whether a water damage removal service in Cape Cod is also needed.
- Decide if hiring a contractor is necessary.
- Spread coffee grounds throughout the house to absorb the smell.
- Recover valuables and important documents.
- Use videos or pictures to document the damages for insurance purposes.
- Don’t turn on any HVAC systems to prevent circulation of soot.
What To Expect From Restoration companies
If you hire professionals to handle the restoration companies, here is what you can expect.
Special Equipment like negative air fans and air scrubbers will be used for air decontamination and ventilation. They may also use a HEPA vacuum on surfaces to get rid of dangerous particles. Once the air is clean and evacuated, they’ll run the ozone machine for at least 24 hours to clear any odors.
Remove all items so that they are not being further damaged from the soot and smoke that is still in the air. And put them in a safe space to be cleaned later.
Disinfecting and scrubbing areas with alkaline cleaners and counteractant chemicals. These are much better at cutting through soot and dulling down the strong fire odor.
Conducting a fire restoration process is unsafe without a help from professionals. SERVPRO of Upper Cape Cod and The Islands is the best company for this job. We have expert knowledge and can determine if damages have reached beneath the surface. Furthermore, we offer other services like mold remediation in Cape Cod, which is often needed in cases of fire damage. Regardless, let us handle the situation so your life can get back to normal.