Mold Damage from a Leaky Chimney| SERVPRO of Upper Cape Cod and the Islands
Recently we responded to a mold issue on Nantucket. The homeowner who lives full-time outside of Massachusetts had planned her annual trip back to Nantucket over the Summer. Upon arriving to the property with her children in tow she immediately smelt the odor of mold and was very concerned for the health and well-being of herself and kids all of whom were highly allergic to microorganisms.
There Are Three Elements Needed for Mold to Grow
- Nutrients such as the cellulose structure of walls, cardboard or wood are all considered food sources common in homes that help mold spores thrive and multiple.
- Inside Moisture or humidity levels above 60%
- Time is the last factor, it only takes 24 hours of the perfect conditions for mold to begin to grow.
It was obvious that it was a more serious issue than just a closed-up home. The high levels of moisture were extensive in the home causing a strong bacterial odor from the mold spores not visible but nonetheless in the air. She wanted work done immediately because they could not stay at the house because of the concerns she had of health risks for the family. We responded right away and set up dehumidifiers and air scrubbers to begin the drying and air scrubbing process at the dwelling. The challenge came when it was discovered that the source was a leaking chimney. After a discussion regarding this fact, the homeowner knew she needed to hire a masonry person to fix the source of the water intrusion to the property, the chimney in this case. She also disclosed that she was in the process of selling the property and wanted to make sure that the mold was completely eradicate for any new owners.
As we began our mold remediation we knew there was going to be a probable with reducing the humidity level in the home enough to make a real difference and began to construct containment barriers up while waiting for the chimney issue to be dealt with by the masonry crew. The days turned to weeks waiting for the chimney to be repaired. Finally, with the source of water intrusion fixed we were able to finish the process of our mold remediation.
Even though the efforts of the crew to sanitize the home and maintain the humidity levels between 40-60% were inhibited by the fact that the source of water needed to be resolved coupled with the fact that there was no place to put the content because the homeowner did not have any space for a storage pod on the property they decided to seal off one room in the house to store the content. Not every job is easy to accomplish but we are always dedicated to crossing the finish line for our customers. If you have a mold issue and need help we are just one phone call away.
SERVPRO of Upper Cape Cod and the Islands is trained and certified to eradicate mold for you in your home or business.